Please note: the following information is provided on an unofficial basis for the sole purpose of assistance. The Conference cannot be held responsible for any change in the data. It is the responsibility of the participant to ultimately validate it from official sources, some of which are named below.
Italian currency and banking services
- Domestic Currency: Euro
- ISO Code: EUR
- To Obtain Domestic Currency: those arriving in Italy with foreign currency can obtain Euros through any bank, ATM or bureau de change. ATMs are widespread. Credit cards are accepted in upmarket establishments and shops around the cities. Banks are closed on weekends, but tend to have better rates than casas de cambios.
- Possible Means of Payment: You can pay in cash or with a credit card. All major credit and debit cards are accepted in Italy, this payment system is common in Italian shops, which generally display the symbols of the credit cards they accept on the outside door. If you pay by credit card you will be asked to show an identity document. Travellers cheques (in USD or Euros) can also be cashed in Italian banks.
An increasing number of Italians have some knowledge of English, but it is advisable to correspond in Italian for initial contact. This could speed up communication and help avoid misunderstandings. In any case, most firms are able to communicate in English.
GMT +1 (GMT +2 between the last Sunday in March and the Saturday before the last Sunday in October).
Electrical standards and measurement systems
- System of Measurement Used: Metric system
- Unit of Measurement of Temperature: Degrees Celsius (°C)
- Voltage: 230 V
- Frequency: 50 Hz
- Type of Electric Socket: C, F & L
- Type of Telephone Socket: Italian (2 types), US RJ-11
- DVD Zoning: Zone 2
Bologna has a continental climate, without any influence from the seaside; the Climatic Classification is “zone E, 2259 GR/G”.
Weather Forecast by ARPA at https://www.arpae.it/dettaglio_generale.asp?id=2711
Useful telephone numbers
Italy telephone country code: +39.
Buses – TPer: +39 051 290290 (from 7.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. every day) or http://www.tper.it
Trains – Trenitalia (Railway company): 89 20 21 or http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en
Trains – Italo (Railway company): 06 07 08 or https://www.italotreno.it/en
Guglielmo Marconi Airport: +39 051 6479615 (from 05.00 a.m. to 00.00 p.m.) or http://www.bologna-airport.it/en/travellers.aspx?idC=61676&LN=en-US
Taxi: COTABO RadioTaxi, +39 051 372727 or http://www.cotabo.it/?lang=en
Taxi: CAT RadioTaxi, +39 051 4590 or http://taxibologna.it/en/
112 – The Pan-European Emergency Number
113 – For all emergencies
115 – Fire Department
116 – A.C.I. (Italian Automobile Club) road assistance
118 – For Medical Emergencies
Bologna tourist offices
The tourist offices in Bologna are two:
Address: Piazza Maggiore, 1 – 40124 Bologna
Phone : +39 051 239660
Website : www.bolognawelcome.com
Bologna Welcome – Airport
Address: Via Triumvirato, 84 – 40132 Bologna
Phone : +39 051 6472201